Pages

Saturday, February 7

neighborhood maps

The sun is shining, the air is sweet with promise, and I'm sipping an iced coffee with soy, quite appropriately I think.

Yesterday, I began a writing activity with my remedial English class. I wasn't sure how they would respond to it, as it was originally designed for younger grades. However, I want them to be thinking, writing, and sharing with each other. We went through the first few steps together, and then I paused, waiting to finish the writing next week. I then shared the results of my own writing following this prompt last spring. Not only was I surprised at how well they participated in the initial steps, but they were respectful, and maybe more importantly, interested in my childhood memories. As I read, I looked to their faces for signs of something. And I was ovejoyed when I saw their eyes soften, their lips part slightly with breath, and their posture straighten.

The year is feeling drunk with hope.

No comments: