Pages

Friday, September 28

the sea faring coffee slut

The only thing that could match my mood more would be (the impending) rain, and a cozy cup of hot chocolate.

I wish there was some way to send out messages over radio waves which would then penetrate to the soul of the intended receiver without actually using anymore energy than the initial fury created…Ah, hence the penetrating stare.

In the last week I have encountered more than one situation where stupidity seemed to be not just a guest star but a tour de force. Just this afternoon, while on a visit to an unnamed corporate coffee ogre, and my former employer, I encountered a friendly face. Or one which I thought should be friendly. However, when eye contact was thoroughly avoided, and greetings averted, I wondered if those comments jokingly made that “I Smell,” were less than a joke.

And again, while trying to leave this forsaken stockpile of deceit and beans, a rude citizen in a gold Honda said to me, “You are a horrible driver, and I must show you by being just this rude!” by way of passing me while entering traffic from a parking lot. Really, do you have somewhere to be that is so desperate for your return that you can’t obey basic traffic laws?

I know that this reeks of cynicism, if not slight dismay with how we have become familiar with this kind of treatment of each other. How have we become like this? How have I become like this? Able to look a friend in the eye and not recognize him. Or to expect rudeness from a total stranger. Not to be trite or insincere, but in all humility.

And so, I have my hot chocolate, offered up by the sea faring coffee slut of the PNW. And still not rain to wash this all away.

No comments: