Pages

Friday, May 9

Probation over!

I finished my first semester as a grad student! And, as far as I can tell, it was a complete and utter success!

I began the year on academic probation, since I didn't have the requisite GPA to actually be admitted to the program. Right now, I have a 4.0 and am sitting pretty! I think this could be the first 4.0 I've ever had in my life. I guess it proves the theory that if a student is interested in the topic, they will learn it.

I have no delusions that the program will get harder. A LOT harder, if the unsmiling faces of the cohort that is about to graduate tells me anything. But I will stay positive and blame that on the lack of sleep rather than anything more sinister.

I am however, a little frustrated at a grade I received last night. I wrote a paper ( the one I said I would post when I finished it, and never did) and the grade seemed more subjective than anything. We weren't given a rubric, much less a clear assignment, to write from, so the points lost were for, ok get this, voice. Mechanics are arguable, as I'm coming from a strong MLA background and having to write APA. Not a whole lot different, but I'm also not going to argue with my teachers PHD. Yet. However, in an academic synthesis paper, one where I would assume voice would be unappreciated unless previously notified (hence the reason for giving your students clear instructions, and a rubric ahead of time) losing points on a paper for it is ludicrous. Not only that, but every paper I've ever written has the same voice, a very professional overtone, seeking to establish authority, rather than find a peer. I might have to say something. I will say something. That just pisses me off.

PS. I will post the paper soon.

No comments: